Being a crafty craft’s lady, you can imagine the wave of excitement that hit me when I first entered the Dongdaemun Shopping Complex. Jam packed into this seven-story, plus a basement, building is everything anyone would ever need to make anything crafty:
- B1 – Threads, submaterials, curtains, embroidery, lace, yarns, bedding
- 1st – Bedding, embroidery, lace, yarns, notions, china and porcelain, living goods
- 2nd – Hanbok, silk goods, curtains, notions, various fabrics (mostly cottons)
- 3rd – Various fabrics
- 4th – Various fabrics
- 5th – Accessories and craft materials
- 6th – Office & Food Court
- 7th – Pharmacy, Clinic, Dentist
I call this place… The Craftgasm.
Many people make and sell jewelry supplied by this store. My Burn Coat was made from fabric bought from this store. I even heard a little rumor that designers from America fly here to buy their fabric from this store due to its lower cost. Regardless, everything crafty in Korea goes through the Craftgasm.
Be warned, if you embark on a craftgasm adventure, be sure to:
- give up your personal space, since this place is jammed packed with vendors, materials, and people like you running around trying to see everything; the aisles are narrow, the space is tight and the people are pushy.
- bring water, there are drinking fountains by the bathrooms but navigating is difficult due to the high capacity of people and shops
- bring cash, many smaller vendors do not have the ability to take cards and finding an ATM is treacherous task (not to mention if you need to find a certain vendor again… ugh!)
- wear comfortable shoes, there are elevators, again hard to find in the craftgasm maze, but the floor and stairs are conveniently structured with smooth concrete
- EAT A FULL MEAL BEFORE YOU GO ~ I cannot stress this enough. Many times I have entered the Craftgasm on an empty stomach only to rush my experience due to lack of energy or loss of patience. Maybe it is a low blood sugar thing, so make sure your body gets what it needs so it doesn’t bother you for it in the Craftgasm.
Hours of Operation
- Monday ~ Saturday : 8:00 am ~ 6:00 pm
- Sunday (only the Hanbok section is open) : 8:00 am ~ 6:00 pm
- Closed on New Year’s, Seollal, Chuseok and summer break (differs every year)
Note: Despite the official hours, many fabric shops tend to close about 5:00 pm. If you don’t have time during the week, going on Saturday morning is the best option.
Dongdaemun Station Line 1 (Dark Blue) and Line 4 (Sky Blue), exit #8 and #9
You won’t have to cross ANY street from here, the building is right outside either exit just behind the construction (as of March 2013).
It is located across the bridge (over Cheonggyecheon) from Doota and directly across from the actual Dongdaemun (East Gate).